Monday, May 1, 2017

'If the inquiry finds I am in the wrong, my place will not be here' – Joseph Muscat

Prime Minister Joseph Muscat has said that if the magisterial inquiry finds that he is in the wrong, then he would feel the need to step down.

Speaking about the magisterial inquiry on a program on One News this morning, Dr Muscat said that his "mind is at a peace" about the situation, however, if the inquiry shows he is in the wrong, then he would feel to step aside.

"Many people ask me, 'but what if something comes up about you in the magisterial inquiry?' If something is found from the inquiry, then my place will not be here," he said, "I would need to leave."

He suggested that if the inquiry finds that he is not in the wrong then Leader of the Opposition Simon Busuttil should think likewise. "I have made my choice regarding what I would do, how he will respond is up to him," he said.

Two weeks ago, Dr Muscat called for a magisterial inquiry following allegations made by journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia that the mysterious Egrant company set up in Panama is or was owned by the Prime Minister's wife Michelle Muscat, an allegation rejected by the Prime Minister. Magistrate Aaron Bugeja is leading the inquiry.

"My work is not to defend myself," he added, "but to defend the places of work and the country's economic rhythm." 




from The Malta Independent http://ift.tt/2oOzNto
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment